Please note that the program's builder enrollment process has changed recently.
To become a Northwest ENERGY STAR Homes qualified builder and participate in the program, follow these five steps:
1) BUILDER AGREEMENT
Complete the national ENERGY STAR Online Partnership Agreement for Home Builders.
(Please note that a Verifier/Rater partner should be identified prior to filling out the online agreement. See step two for more details on selecting a Verifier/Rater)
Upon approval by the national ENERGY STAR Homes program, this agreement will:
- Enter your comany into the national and Northwest ENERGY STAR databases
- Guarantee a free listing as a partner on both the national and regional ENERGY STAR websites
- Make your company eligible to participate in cooperative advertising campaigns
- Give your company access to marketing tools and support, through both your national ENERGY STAR "MESA" (My ENERGY STAR Account) and the Northwest ENERGY STAR website
2) VERIFIER/RATER ENLISTMENT
The Verifier or Rater guides you through the Northwest ENERGY STAR Homes building process. The Verifier/Rater reviews the building components and compliance requirements and submits all information to a Provider for ENERGY STAR certification. The Verifier/Rater charges a fee that includes verification services and ENERGY STAR certification.
Your Verifier/Rater can help you select approved partners to work with, including Performance Tested Comfort Systems (PTCS™) certified technicians and Northwest Approved HVAC contractors.
Click here for a list of trained and certified Verifiers/Raters in your area.
3) CONSTRUCTION PROCESS
The Northwest Builder Option Packages (BOPs) outline the prescriptive program requirements. A Performance Path option for program certification will be available in mid-2013. Your Verifier/Rater will help you in the planning stages and provide ongoing support for correct methods of installation and buiding practices. They will ensure that a PTCS certified technician completes proper performance testing of the HVAC system, including heating, cooling, and duct systems, and that all Version 3 checklists are completed by the appropriate parties. Adding the Verifier/Rater to your projects as early as possible will best ensure your success in the program.
At a minimum, the Verifier/Rater will need to:
- Visually inspect the home and review any local energy code compliance documentation available
- Verify relevant component and equipment specifications (windows, HVAC, water heating, etc.)
- Verify that the HVAC system was installed and performance tested according to Northwest ENERGY STAR Homes standards
- Verifiy that ENERGY STAR Version 3 Checklists have been completed and file them for Quality Assurance inspections
- Enter home information into the Axis data tracking system
Your Verifier/Rater will provide you with a Northwest ENERGY STAR Homes certificate after final verification by the Provider. Certification fees are generally included with any Verifier/Rater fees you may pay.